Home

Bike rescue

August 30, 2009

It was supposed to rain, so I was driving to work, saw this out in someone’s trash, and it followed me home. $45 in parts from the Broadway Bicycle School, plus new bearings for the headset, and it’s a bike again.

IMG_4433.JPG

I have no idea what is going on with the paint job.


I took it to the B’way Bike School on the Big Dummy, which turned out to be a good idea because that way I didn’t need to mess with parking; things were slow enough, they were happy to let me wheel the whole thing in, and then we took inventory of all the missing bits.

The headset was the worst I have ever seen, so I had to rebuild it. The top bearings were full of some crusty stuff, so I cleaned it all out with turpentine. I washed the bearings in turpentine, and when, for grins, I put a magnet on the bottom of the tin, look what stuck:

IMG_4431.JPG

No, not The Blob. Magnetic dirt, that used to be ball bearings (and races, no doubt). I bought new BBs, from the nice guys at Wheelworks down the street.

There’s a trick for getting old rusted threaded stems loose without destroying the bolt; use a cold pack to cool the stem, and it contracts a hair, and then you can move the bolt. Greased up seven ways to Sunday on reassembly, of course.


IMG_0399_2.JPG

(No, it did not get that much shorter, that is after loosening the bolt, on an older bike.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: