A dozen possible reasons why we’re so fat
December 16, 2010
Two possible (popular) reasons are that we eat too much and exercise too little.
- Sleep debt
- Endocrine disruptors; chemicals don’t just make us girly-men, they make us fat girly-men.
- Indoor climate control; sweating and shivering doesn’t so much build character, as reduce your size, so that the character-per-pound increases.
- Less smoking.
- This is your blobby body on drugs; all that stuff we take to smooth our moods, makes us eat foods
- Older mothers (it’s always mom’s fault)
- Intrauterine/intergenerational effects
- Fat = fertile
- “Non-random mating and floor effects”
All these crazy ideas are explained and semi-justified in the paper.